The Election Commission of India has recently rolled out the Voter ID Cards’ electronic version on National Voter’s Day’s occasion.
All the necessary details about the digital Voter ID Cards or e-EPIC (Elector Photo Identity Card) are as follows-
- The conventional Physical Voter ID Cards will continue to be used as usual.
- These Voter ID Cards can also be downloaded on phones, computers & other similar devices. They can also be stored in digital lockers.
- The card will be in PDF format, and thus it cannot be edited by any means. The candidate can use just self-print it and laminate it whenever it is required.
- On the day of polling, the electors can use these Digital Voter ID Cards in the states like Tamil Nadu, Kerala, West Bengal, Puducherry & Assam. Elections in these states & UTs will occur in April-May.
- These cards will enable the electors to eliminate their wait to deliver their Physical EPIC once they are approved.
- This digital card will discard a voter’s requirement to get a new voter card every time there is a change in a voter’s address due to migration.
- All new electors registered in the special summary revision 2021, who have applied in November-December 2020, will get a message on their mobile no. & they can download their e-EPIC from 25th January 2021 to 31st January 2021.
- All the general electors can download their Digital Voter ID Cards from 1st February 2021. They will undergo the process of KYC before they download their cards.
- The duplicate copy of the cards can be downloaded for free if the voters’ EPIC has been damaged or lost due to any reason. Currently, this facility requires a payment of 25 rupees.